Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"Funeral Cake"

Finally...inspiration!! Where have I been, you ask? Well, I have been in a "food desert" of sorts, meaning I have not been inspired. It is good to know that people read my blog. It never fails that when I go silent I get asked "why have you not written anything?".  Well, the truth is....I DO NOT write unless I am inspired, I mean really inspired. As any writer will tell you, writing cannot be forced, rather it should be inspired and when it is, it comes in waves and here it goes...

On Tuesday, July 30th, I attended a funeral in Philadelphia, PA, and of all places, the repast is where I found my inspiration by way of the infamous " funeral cake." Think about it, you have probably been to a funeral where there was a selection of cake (at least in Miami) which is usually coconut cake and/or pound cake (my favorites). Well at this particular repast, I had the pleasure of experiencing both of my favorites and a new favorite,  pistachio cake....mmmmmmm!

The pistachio cake was a first for me and I will admit it caught me by surprise. I am not an icing person, which is why I prefer pound cake, but this particular cake had a funky lime green pistachio icing that initially turned me off (see below picture). Thankfully, I was feeling adventurous and tasted it and I will say the icing complimented the cake very well, shut my mouth!

The pound cake was delicious and moist as well, but I will say I could have done without the icing because it had little beads in it ( which did not do anything for me). However, the cake itself was awesome!

But......the star of the show was the awemazing......... coconut cake!!! OMG....this was by far the best coconut cake/funeral cake that I have eveeeerrrrrr tasted!! When I say I love coconut cake, I loovvveee coconut cake, no seriously! It was so good that I took a few slices to go, which did not make it back to the hotel!! This cake was definitely " life changing" in that it was "heavy", moist and it smelled good. Plus, it had the right amount of icing to make a perfect blend....deelish!



Baby Disms: A "heavy" cake is one that has some weight to it when you touch it and hold it in your hand. This is usually an indication that the cake is homemade and good.

After eating a sample of the three cakes ( yes, I had a moment) I had to thank the person that made them, Mr. Ethomas "The Cake Man" Heckstall ! To hear his story and love for cooking and baking made the cake even better. The Cake Man, as I dubbed him, came from a looooong line of cooks. While talking to him, I was informed  the pistachio cake is his grandfather's recipe. The Cake Man also proudly informed me he had been baking since the age of 16 ( now he is in his 60s), so you know he has definitely perfected his skill!

In hindsight, I wish I was not trying to be so cute and watch my sexy because I regret not freezing some and bringing it back to Atlanta....ugh!!! I know my Great-Grandmom Doris and Aunt Bunny (RIP) are shaking their heads in heaven saying  "Ms. Thang, you should always travel with a plastic bag or a piece of foil", lol!!

In memory of.... Mr. William "Fatt Daddy" Evans...RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment