Sunday, September 18, 2011

Brick Street Cafe (Greenville, SC)

Greetings devoted followers, I am delighted to bring you another great find all the way from Greenville, SC! This weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting Greenville. I know you maybe thinking ......"what's in Greenville?", but if you have never been I suggest that you put in on your bucket list. Although, this was my third trip there I still get excited when I talk about my favorite part of the city, downtown Main St. The best word to describe it, is cute and quaint. Cute in that you can walk the strip to shop, eat or just enjoy the scenery and the beautiful tree lined streets. On any account, my reason for writing is inspired by my visit to the Brick Street Cafe and my encounter with the famous Miss Sue.

(bakeryboyblog.files.wordpress.com)


The Brick Street Cafe was recommended by a local older couple that described the restaurant, their infamous sweet potato pie cake and love muffin as "life changing" (no joke). After hearing my favorite phrase, I immediate knew where I wanted to go for lunch. After speaking with the couple for a few and learning that the restaurant's chef and matriarch is a older black woman named Miss Sue and the family that owns the restaurant basically allows Miss Sue to cook and run the restaurant. I was also surprised to learn that Miss Sue was the family's cook for years. Once I heard that I was even more intrigued to experience Miss Sue and the Brick Street Cafe....

I immediately Googled the restaurant and saw that it had 4 out of 5 stars and all the reviews were excellent. When I arrived at the cafe, I mistaking (but thankfully) entered through the banquet room entrance/bakery of the restaurant. Once I entered, I was greeted by the overwhelming smell of sugar and homemade cakes, and I honestly thought I was in my great-grandmother's kitchen. I eventually made my way upstairs and I was amazed at the ambiance and decor of the restaurant because it reminded me of pictures that I have seen of cafes in Paris. The main dinning area had individual rooms with different themes and various colors and customers are able to select any area to dine in, and I thought that was so cute. Then in the back of the restaurant I saw the cake display......sigh!



After deciding on the "Merry Christmas" room, I looked over the menu and immediately went to the desserts and everything looked great. A local couple nearby overheard my conversation about the love muffin and the unknown woman suggested I try Miss Sue's Chicken Salad, fruit and love muffin meal. She went on to say that the love muffin was "life changing" and she then went on to describe the taste and the muffin with so much passion that she began biting her hand, as if to say " it is that good".



Needless to say, I decided on Miss Sue's chicken salad sandwich, a love muffin and the bakery lady offered a piece of sweet potato pie cake.....and boy was it deelish! The cake was like a perfect blend of cake and sweet potato pie and it is by far the best cake creation (and cake) that I have everrrrrrrr tasted. Even the homemade butter cream icing was bliss and I am not a big fan of icing. Of course the love muffin and chicken salad sandwich was great, but that cake stole the show......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! After I dined, I left there with a raspberry chocolate cake, sweet potato pie cake and a coconut cake....and everything was moist and a perfect blend of deliciousness.



Although the food and experience was excellent, I had the opportunity to meet and talk to Miss Sue and this was a priceless and blessed experience that I will never forget. If I did not know any better I would have thought she was a regular worker who was busing tables and minding her business.........but no, this is the person who's pictures are on the walls of the restaurant and for sale at the register, not to mention she is the creator of the delicious cakes and some of the menu items. According to Miss Sue , she is the only one that makes the chicken salad and sweet potato pie cake daily. She also told me that she raised 10 kids alone, loves to work and go to church and that God is her source. As she was talking I was praying that at 80 years old God blesses me with a life that I can be proud of, a constant zeal for life, the motivation to live and keep me in my right mind because Miss Sue exemplified all that and some, as well as the respect of everyone in that restaurant, and probably town. Miss Sue is what I call a DIVA in her own right, and she is most deserving of the honor that is displayed in the restaurant that she has created a name for.

No comments:

Post a Comment