Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cheesesteak.....yum!

For some, Miami is known for some of the best Cuban and seafood around. However, most people tend to look over the mom-and-pop restaurants that are not associated with one of the above cuisines.  One in particular is a restaurant called A&W or " The Root Beer Place" ( across from Miami-Dade College/University) where I think they have the most delicious cheesesteak sandwiches and breakfast. Although, I have not had a "true" cheesesteak from Philly, A&W is what I imagine to be close.....until I had the next closest tasting at Weeyums Philly Style, in Stone Mountain, GA.

Before making the (long) journey I called to see what time they close and to my surprise (and frustration) I was left on hold several times due to what I concluded was because of call in orders ( now I know they close at 11pm). After several failed attempts to get an answer, I just went. Upon arriving, I noticed Weeyums would be considered by some as a "hole in the wall", which is usually the location of great eating, naturally I was excited.  I also noticed there was no place to sit and eat!! 

( yelp.com)

After conducting my initial assessment, I walked in and was greeted by the smell of steak....mmmmmm, and a native of Philly. I finally placed my order for a philly with only cheese and mayo (straight to the point) on white bread, which was all they had and I later learned the bread is imported from Philly...impressive. After I received my order , I ended up sitting  outside on a bench to partake in my cheesesteak and root beer experience, and it was great! Everything from the bread. to the perfect amount of seasoning, down to the root beer was perfect! Normally, I only eat half but I did not want to leave anything behind to take the chance of having to reheat it....ewww! Unlike pasta, this was a dish that would not get better the second time around. So there it is....who would have thunk it in Georgia!

In the event that you are in Stone Mountain, GA and have a taste for a cheesesteak sandwich, be sure to stop by Weeyums. You can thank me later :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment